Once winter hits, the weather may go from hot to cold, but one thing that doesn’t change is the fact that people need to properly care for their eyes. Of the many things you can do to keep your eyes healthy, wearing sunglasses is possibly the easiest. Many people associate sunglasses with summer, so this is the only time they opt to wear them, even though there are many reasons why wearing sunglasses in the winter is just as important as any other time of the year.
Since eye care in Lancaster, OH should be a priority year-round, here are five reasons why it is important to wear sunglasses in the winter:
- Protect against UV rays: The sun’s UV rays are harmful to your eyes. When you step outside without a pair of sunglasses at anytime of the year, including winter, your eyes are in danger. Too much exposure is what can lead to various eye conditions, such as cataracts and macular degeneration. Sunglasses keep your eyes protected from these rays and reduce the chances of your experiencing the negative effects associated with exposure to these rays.
- Protect against dust and other particles in the air: There is a lot of dust, debris and other particles floating around in the air. It may not be something that you think much about until something lands in your eye. If you happen to get something stuck in your eye, it will likely cause irritation, but another possibility is a corneal abrasion. With any eye injury, you have to be careful because it can negatively impact your vision temporarily or permanently.
- Protect eyes against dryness: The winter air is cold and dry pretty much every day. As the wind blows and whips past your face, it could slowly be stealing moisture from your eyes and drying them out. Anyone who has ever had dry eyes knows how irritating it can be, especially when you are wearing contact lenses. Sunglasses are great at preventing dryness because they act as a barrier that keeps the wind away from your eyes.
- Reduce eyestrain: When the sun is out, people often squint due to the brightness. Straining your eyes can be dangerous because it can lead to eye fatigue and headaches. With sunglasses decreasing the amount of light that reaches your eyes, there is no need to strain them to see. If you want to avoid a daily headache, it would be wise to invest in a pair of quality sunglasses as soon as possible.
- Reduce the sun’s glare: Depending on the season, you will experience different types of weather conditions. During the winter, there is snow, rain and ice. These things are already a danger when you are driving, but in combination with the sun’s glare, the danger increases dramatically. The light from the sun can easily reflect off the shiny snow, ice or wet ground and impair your vision. If you are driving, you need to be able to see everything, and if you can’t, an accident may occur.
The health of your eyes should be something you focus on year-round. The sun may be a danger to your eyes, but there is a lot more that you have to look for when you leave the safety of your home. If you have yet to purchase a pair of quality sunglasses, it is time to invest and keep your eyes protected.
Do you have concerns about winter eye care in Lancaster, OH? You can reach out to the experts at Price Family Eye Care Professionals LLC today for more information.
Categorised in: Eye Care
This post was written by Writer