Whether you love the winter or you’re already holding out for spring and summer, it’s important to understand how winter weather can affect your health. Cold temperatures, high winds and heavy precipitation can put a lot of strain on your eyes, and it’s a good idea to take some time to think about eye care in Lancaster, OH to keep them healthy all season long.
How does winter weather affect eyes?
Going outside during the winter can expose your eyes to a lot of harsh conditions, including extremely low temperatures, high-speed winds, excessive precipitation and glare from snow and ice. There are several common eye health issues that are caused by exposure to winter weather:
- Dry eyes: A lot of people experience dry eyes during the winter months. Winter air tends to be drier than air during other times of the year. On top of that, windy weather conditions can dry out eyes and cause irritation.
- Sensitivity to light: Snow and ice reflect light, and that can cause some eye irritation and light sensitivity. People who spend a lot of time outside in the snow often experience vision problems and greater sensitivity to light.
- Sun damage: Few people associate the winter months with sunburn, but the reality is that sun exposure is still a big concern during the winter, especially because of how much snow reflects sunlight. People who spend a lot of time outside in the snow on sunny winter days often deal with sunburn and eye damage.
Preventing eye damage in the winter
There are a lot of things that can threaten your eye health during the winter months, but there are several preventative measures that can protect your eyes from damage and alleviate discomfort:
- Use eyedrops: If you have problems with eye dryness and irritation, eyedrops can help. Ask for eyedrop recommendations from an eye care specialist to find the product that will be best for your eyes and your situation.
- Wear eye protection: To prevent UV damage and minimize light sensitivity during the winter months, it’s a good idea to wear eye protection whenever you’re outside. Sunglasses and protective goggles will keep your eyes protected from the sun and minimize discomfort from snow glare.
- Keep up with routine eye care: No matter what time of year it is, routine eye care in Lancaster, OH is essential. Keep up with regular eye exams and check in with your optometrist if you experience any issues with your vision or your eye health.
Get top-notch eye care in Lancaster, OH
At Price Family Eye Care Professionals LLC, we recognize the importance of eye care in Lancaster, OH during the winter months, and our team is here to provide you with the advice and services you need to keep your eyes as healthy as possible during the wintertime and all year long. We can test your vision and assess your eye health to determine which treatments and products are right for you. Regardless of your particular needs when it comes to eye care in Lancaster, OH, we have the experience and tools necessary to provide you with the best care possible. Reach out to us today to schedule a visit.
Categorised in: Eye Care
This post was written by Writer